Monday, June 10, 2013

Unintended consequence......

I’m working on an issue I’m seeing in my lab (more info to come soon) and needed to vMotion one of my guests from one host to another.  I received the following error:
Migrate virtual machine.  A general system error occurred:  The source detected that the destination failed to resume. 
Error Stack:  The VM failed to resume on the destination during early power on.

I researched the error on the internet and look what I found:
http://vmadmin.nt.com.au/?p=82

When I added 'vhv.enable = "TRUE" to the ect/VMware/config file back on June 9, I had no idea I would run into these issues.  I simply removed the line from the config file using vi and vMotion works again.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note:
I had read on VMware's website about the 'vhv.enable = "TRUE" statement requiring a specific minimum hardware requirement.  My two hosts do not meet those requirements.  I added the lines to the config file just to see what would happen (note to self....see issues above).  :) 

Here is a screenshot of the message I received when I powered on one of the Autolab nested ESXi hosts after I had added the vhv.enable = "TRUE" line to the config file:
 


 I removed the line in the config file to fix my vMotion error and it, of course, fixed the Virtual Machine Question issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment